If books are not good company, where will I find it? -Mark Twain

Thursday, July 8, 2010

There is always more to learn

More than twenty years after I donned cap and gown to receive a bachelor's degree at UCLA I returned to the 'scene of the crime' for a master's degree. In the intervening years many things have changed, yet at the UCLA campus many things were eerily the same. My first week of classes I was sitting on the edge of the inverted fountain waiting for the class - looking around not much has changed physically in this spot on campus. As I looked closer, though, almost every student passing by was either talking on a cell phone or wearing a pair of earbuds. These were not common student accessories when I was an undergraduate. We did, however, wear the same overloaded backpacks! On June 12, 2010 I was in cap and gown again, this time to receive my MLIS from UCLA. One might think that would be enough...however, here I am, one month later, taking an on-line class in library services and kids. I will be participating in ALSC's pilot course 21 Things for 21st Century KidLibs. Lifelong learning? Yep, I got that. #alsc21things

1 comment:

  1. A few weeks ago I was in D.C. for ALA. It has been almost 20 years since I attended college in D.C. I took a walk through campus and noticed almost every student talking on a cell phone or texting. Very different from my days.

    ReplyDelete