If books are not good company, where will I find it? -Mark Twain

Monday, February 28, 2011

Stories, stories, stories

When I set up this blog, I really did intend on writing a weekly post. Honest. But then life got in the way and well, even though I had plenty to say, I just never had the time to sit and write it down here. With the start of a new year (yes, I know that it is almost March...) I am determined to post something each week.

So today's post is all about stories and resources for storytime. When I last posted I was preparing a baby-lapsit storytime for our local military base library. When I started "Tiny Toes Storytime" in the fall, I presented twice a month. In January took the leap to weekly. At first, I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to present a quality storytime every week, but so far, so good. I am even starting to have regulars come back every week. Hmmm, that will make it more difficult to repeat programs!

Today's theme was "Shall We Dance?" I read Farmer Joe and the Music Show by Tony Mitton (great rhyme and rhythm), Barnyard Dance by Sandra Boynton, Brontorina by James Howe (The problem is not that she was too big to learn to dance, but that the studio was too small), Giraffes Can't Dance by Giles Andrede (everyone can dance if they can only find the right music), and Dancing Feet by Lindsey Craig (Kid's guess who belongs to the dancing feet on each page). We did a couple of fingerplays and action rhymes, sang a couple of songs and danced "The Hokey Pokey" and "Dinosaur Stomp." Even though there were only three kids there, everyone had a good time - and took another step in developing early literacy skills.

One thing that makes creating a weekly storytime easier these days is the availability of good resources. Judy Sierra's books on flannelboards and storytelling are terrific. Collections of rhymes and fingerplays are great sources for "storytime extras." My newest discovery, and current favorite, is Storytime Magic: 400 Fingerplays, Flannelboards, and other activities by Kathy MacMillan and Christine Kirker. Well organized and current, it has a wealth of useful information for almost any age group or storytime theme. Some of my favorite online resources include the Kings County and Canton Public Library lists of songs, rhymes and fingerplays. Do you have any favorite resources? Favorite books to read for storytime???

Next week's theme will be cars and trucks...to balance out this week's "girl" theme of dance!

Even though I am still not working full time as a librarian, I am working two days a week for San Diego Public Library. So far, I have worked at 22 of the 35 branches in the system. My favorite work days have been the three days I have been asked to present storytime, due to a last minute absence. The first time it was pretty scary to prepare a program in 25 minutes! Now that I have more experience and resources at my disposal I know I can do it. I find myself hoping that I'll have the opportunity to present a storytime and make another group of children a little happier.





No comments:

Post a Comment