If books are not good company, where will I find it? -Mark Twain

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Wild About Books

Recently, I was asked what I thought the best part of my job was. That answer was easy: sharing my passion for books! At this weeks storytime, the stories were all about characters who were passionate about books.

I started this week's session with:
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is the book that I started my "Wild About Books" storytime with...in simple rhyme and charming illustrations, animals teach book/library etiquette. The kids loved this book, even the very young ones. It is very simple, but the drawings of the animals are filled with charm and expression. Followed by the tradional fingerplay, "Here is My Book." The five children at storytime really participated in this one.

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is a wonderfully imaginative picture book about Henry, who loves books, "Just not the way you and I do." When I introduced this book, I mentioned that this was about a boy who had not read our first storytime read and or had not followed the advice of "Read it, Don't Eat it." I worried that this would be too much for my age group (11 months to just under 3) but the book held their interest and they were able to follow it. They even picked up on the subtle humor of the last page! This was followed by the singing of "At the Library" to the tune of "Here we Go Round the Mulberry Bush." Next up:


My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is a wonderful read aloud book. A boy just wants to read his book, but Tiger and his antics prove too distracting. Tiger refers to himself in the third person, so he was fun to create a funny voice for...in addition his antics include great sounds like loud gum chewing "chomps" and karate exclamations. The kids were enchanted by the illustrations and laughed at Tiger's antics. (The boy's book is about a tiger and, in the end, the boys reads the book to Tiger and everyone is happy.)


My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is an easy to read aloud book about a dog who just wants to share a passion for books. At first things don't go as planned, but then he pulls a book off the shelf and the illustrations vividly depict dog's joy of reading and all the wonderful things we can imagine when we read. Finally, dog has an opportunity to share all of this in the story - which the kids loved.


My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This was my favorite book at Storytime. This illustrations are sweet and there are animals and a library...and animal sounds. What more could you ask for in a read aloud? When the kids go back to school the farm animals are sad and bored and wander off to town in search of something fun to do. They see happy people coming out of the library and so, one by one, they go in and ask the librarian for help. The problem is that she can't understand them, until finally the chicken goes in and clucks, "Book, book, book." Finally, the librarian understands and the happy animals return to the farm to read their books. The kids helped me make all the animal sounds and giggled in all the right places. In honor of this book we did a fingerplay, "Three Little Books" edited from a flannel board story found in Storytime Magic by Kathy MacMillan.


My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is a simple story about a class visit to the library told in rhyme. I really liked the fact that there was diversity and multiculturalism displayed in the characters. This was a great book for baby/lapsit storytime about books and reading.


Although I didn't read it, I did close with a quote from Rosemary Wells on the end pages of Read to Your Bunny:

The most important thing in the first years of a child’s life is the growth of mind and spirit. Singing, laughing and language are the most important things in a child’s life. Reading to your little ones Is just like putting gold coins in a bank. It will pay you back tenfold!
– Rosemary Wells

No comments:

Post a Comment