If books are not good company, where will I find it? -Mark Twain

Friday, February 21, 2014

For Book Lovers!

In addition to hosting Valentine's Day, did you know that February is also Book Lover's Month?  So, this week my story time theme was "Wild About Books" and the stories we read and all of the songs and rhymes were devoted to book lovers.  Our last song was about making books - the author writes the book…the illustrator drawers the pictures….and for the craft, the kids got to write and illustrate their very own four page book.

Here's what I read:

I Love My Little StorybookI Love My Little Storybook by Anita Jeram
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
This is a magical book about a rabbit, a storybook and all the wonderful places they go.  The illustrations are beautiful and the text captures the true joy of reading.


Maybe A Bear Ate It!Maybe A Bear Ate It! by Robie H. Harris
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Sweet tale of a book lover!  A cat-like figure crawls into bed with all sorts of stuffed animals and falls asleep while reading a book.  In the morning he stretches and knocks the book under the bed…and then panics because he can't find his book.  Panic stricken, his imagination runs away with him as he imagines all of the things that may have happened to his beloved book - maybe a bear ate it, or a stegosaurus stomped on it, or a rhino ran away with it.  He looks high and low…the illustrations are great…and eventually, with great joy, he finds his book, and falls asleep reading it.


Carlo Likes ReadingCarlo Likes Reading by Jessica Spanyol
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Carlo is a giraffe who reads every chance he gets.  Many of the rooms in his house have labels on items, and he reads in his room, in the bathroom getting ready for bed, in the kitchen as he has breakfast.  He reads with family members, friends and to ducks and his cat, Crackers.  The bright, child like illustrations charmed my story time audience and there were many opportunities to interact with my story time audience and have them count items…and identify items, which was a nice supplement to the simple text.  A big hit with my audience.


Book! Book! Book!Book! Book! Book! by Deborah Bruss
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
This was my favorite book at Storytime.  This illustrations are sweet and there are animals and a library...and animal sounds.  What more could you ask for in a read aloud?  When the kids go back to school the farm animals are sad and bored and wander off to town in search of something fun to do.  They see happy people coming out of the library and so, one by one, they go in and ask the librarian for help.  The problem is that she can't understand them, until finally the chicken goes in and clucks, "Book, book, book." Finally, the librarian understands and the happy animals return to the farm to read their books. The kids helped me make all the animal sounds and giggled in all the right places.






No comments:

Post a Comment